Although the German Fourth and Sixth Armies had thus far failed to penetrate the allied line, the German Supreme Command believed that a fresh push would bring victory. Gathering together units released from other fronts, Falkenhayn created Army Group Fabeck, commanded by veteran of the Franco-Prussian War General Max von Fabeck and comprised of six infantry divisions, whose mission was to attack along the British line from Ploegsteert Wood to Geluveld. Continued pressure along the front from the two German armies would prohibit allied transfer of reserve troops. The attack came as a surprise to the British. Before a preliminary attack against Geluveld commenced on 29 October, Sir John French reported to Secretary of State for War Lord Kitchener that the Germans were incapable of launching any further attacks despite the interception of Group Fabeck’s plans. British aerial reconnaissance on 28 October, however, reported a large movement of German troops astride the Menin Road.

16d Battle of Geluveld: 29 to 31 October 1914

Province: West Flanders

Country: Belgium

A ‘Virtual Battlefield Tour’ from Fields of War: Fifty Key Battlefields in France and Belgium

A preliminary move on 29 October, the 54th Reserve Division, strengthened by a brigade of Bavarian reservists, struck west of Becelaere. The thin lines of the Coldstream Guards and the Black Watch were nearly overrun because the enemy suddenly appeared out of the dense fog. Both sides committed reserves as the fighting spread south of the Menin Road and against the British 20th Brigade. The intense struggle continued all day, with high losses on both sides until darkness and a heavy rain chilled the engagement.
The next day Fabeck unleashed his battalions with deadly consequences as German divisions south of the Menin Road attacked reinforced positions with deadly accurate fire that covered the landscape with grey-clad bodies. Fabeck’s men were even more successful farther south, where they drove Allenby’s 2nd and 3rd Cavalry Divisions back three kilometers.
Dawn on 31 October broke in a miserable rain. The German 30th Division pressed the attack on Geluveld from the south. They were ultimately stopped but retained a small orchard from which they could enfilade units to the north. At 10:00, sixteen battalions of German infantry moved forward toward thinly held British lines. Field batteries fired into the shallow trenches of the 1st Queens Regiment and set on fire the village behind them. While the Queens attempted to retire, they discovered that the reserve companies supposed to be 500 meters to their rear in Veldhoek were gone; the Germans surrounded and captured all but a dozen men of the battalion. Dense German artillery fire stopped the 1st Gloucestershire Regiment’s counterattack. Farther south the 105th Saxon Regiment completely overwhelmed the diminished ranks of the 1st Loyal North Lancashire and the 2nd Royal Scots Fusiliers Regiments. The way to Ypres was open.
North of the road, British units already well below strength started to disappear. The initial bombardment from the 54th Reserve Division had so weakened the 2nd Welsh Regiment that it withdrew. On their left the second assault at 10:00 forced the 1st South Wales Borderers back through most of Geluveld and onto the château grounds, where they established a position near the church.
Brigadier FitzClarence, upon hearing of the loss of Geluveld, rode forward and ordered the last reserves - three companies of the 2nd Worcestershire Regiment, led by Major Edward Hankey, borrowed from the 2nd Division - to counterattack from what later became known as Black Watch Corner in Polygon Wood. The 350 men moved out at 13:00, crossed a small creek, and halted momentarily in a belt of trees. Redeployed in two lines and fully exposed on open ground for the last 1,000 meters, they advanced ‘at the double’ through enemy artillery fire to a small protective wood, where they fixed bayonets. The surviving 250 men charged into a host of 1,200 Germans in and about the chateau, inducing panic in the young recruits, who were more interested in finding loot or water. After rescuing the Borderers, who were still firing from the château stables, they re-established the line along the sunken Geluveld-Kortekeer road. Enfiladed by the remaining Germans in the village, one company proceeded to occupy the church and churchyard, despite the flames and falling timbers of the burning houses. Some house-to-house fighting took place, but German artillery denied the occupation of the center of the village. Two weeks later FitzClarence was killed; his body was never found and he is commemorated on the Menin Gate.
South of the road a mixed unit including the 1st Gloucesters halted the Saxon advance, which was then routed by well-placed high explosive shells from the 54th Battery RFA. Extremely heavy fighting continued throughout the day, with the result always in doubt. That night British forces, needing to conserve their remaining resources, abandoned Geluveld to form defensive lines 500 meters farther west. Divisions of the French XVI and XX Corps arrived to man the line along Messines Ridge, freeing Allenby’s cavalry for BEF reserves. Paris newspapers declared that ‘the fate of Europe was decided’ on 31 October 1914.

Battlefield Tour

View Battle of Geluveld: 29 to 31 Octover 1914 '- A Virtual Battlefield Tour by French Battlefields (' in a larger map

On 31 October, the 2nd Worcesters came to the rescue of the troops in Geluveld. The rural road dips in the slight valley of the Reutelbeek, where the Worcesters found their last piece of cover before proceeding. A line of poplars now marks the trees were Major Hankey deployed his men into a double line. From here the road diverges from the route of Hankey’s advance; the Worcesters’ charge took place across the open ground. (50.838795,2.992581)

Behind the church are the gates to the long drive that approaches the restored and still private Château de Geluveld. On these grounds the successful German advance lost focus and became victim to the Worcesters’ assault. A signboard gives a brief history of the chateau and the fighting on its grounds. (50.836665,2.998997)

Geluveld Mill (50.833991,2.995644)

Opposite the shopping area to the east is a residential lane that ends at a ruined windmill, a replacement for the wartime mill. Two monuments commemorate the actions of individual regiments in the battle for Geluveld. A Celtic Cross was erected in memory of the officers and men of the South Wales Borderers Regiment. Near the bottom is the unit’s insignia. (50.833984,2.995547)

To its right is a handsomely mounted stone dedicated to the men of the 2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment who fell defending the village. Polygon Wood can be seen in the distance to the north-northwest by looking between the houses. Approximately half that distance away is the much smaller Polderhoek (wood). Even with the modern development the route seems very exposed when under enemy fire and hence speaks to the courage and, perhaps to some measure, of the desperation of the men who attempted it. (50.833952,2.99547)

The grounds of the Zantvoorde British Cemetery were lost to German 39th Infantry Division on 30 October 1914. It remained behind German lines until retaken on 28 September 1918. The cemetery was established after the war to accumulated the bodies of those lost in area warfare. The cemetery records 1,583 burials; however, because many were long dead before their burial, 1,135 of that number remain unidentified. (50.813492,2.983571)

The Household Cavalry Monument is not visible from the road because it is accessed down a stone pathway between two houses. The dedication is “To those of the 1st and 2nd Life Guards and Royal Horseguards who died fighting in France and Flanders, 1914; many of them fell in defense of the ridge upon which this cross stands.” The unit between 300 and 400 men was annihilated during the heavy German bombardment of 30 October 1914. (50.811162,2.982804)

The Zandvoorde Bunker (or Ten Brielen) is surrounded by barbed wire but there is an access lane through the field so that one can tour the bunker, although its floor is frequently water covered. An inscription near to the door identifies the bunker as being built in 1916 by 3rd Company, Army Battalion 27. This is a rather complete facility and it is much more extensive than appears from the road. No admission fee. (50.808848,2.985502)

Presented by
French Battlefields
Publishers of
Fields of War: Fifty Key Battlefields in France and Belgium