Entrance (Block #1) to Fort Eben-Emael still displays the ferocity of the German assault which easily captured the stronghold on 10 May 1940.
The Citadelle and the onion domes Cathedral of Notre – Dame in Dinant and viewed from across the Meuse River.
Dinant Meuse Crossing
The crossing point near Dinant at Leffe used by Rommel’s troops in forcing passage of the Meuse River, the last natural defense in Belgium before the French border.
The Île de Houx in the Meuse River which was the crossing point used by Rommel’s forces to achieve the first troops across the Meuse River north of Dinant.
French GA2 double bunker #102 above the Donchéry – Sedan Road along the banks of the Meuse.
Sedan Pont Maugis Bunker
Barbeyrac-type bunker ‘o’ near Pont Maugis defended against crossing of the Meuse River at Sedan.
Sedan Bunker Alternate
Alternate view of the French GA2 double bunker #102 above the Donchéry – Sedan Road along the banks of the Meuse.
Calais Fort Nieulay
Porte de Boulogne viewed from the exterior of Fort Nieulay near Calais.
Calais Parc St-Pierre
The landscaping in Parc St-Pierre in central Calais almost masks the presence of the German Communications bunker in the rear. The bunker now houses a Second World War museum describing life in Calais during the occupation.
The Flemish Renaissance bell tower of the Hôtel de Ville in Calais.
Malo les Bains beach
The Dunkerque evacuation beach at Malo les Bains just adjacent to the East Mole and memorial plaques to the evacuation of British and French forces during Operation ’Dynamo’ in May / June 1940.
Merritt’s Bridge (after Lt. Col. Cecil Merritt, VC) and the Scie River lowlands at Pourville where men of the South Saskatchewan Regiment suffered heavy casualties moving against German pillboxes defending Dieppe approaches.
View of the landing beaches and flat terrain of the waterfront at Dieppe as viewed from the Dieppe headland. German gun positions here and on the opposite headland (not visible behind the city’s buildings) commanded the landing zone and destroyed Canadian armor.
The landing area at Berneval that was to be used by No 3 Commando during the attack upon Dieppe demonstrates the superior positions available to German troops as the commandos were funneled into the narrow draw.
Orange I beach and Vasterival Draw used by elements of Lord Lovat’s No 4 Commando, who successfully moved inland and destroyed the German Hess Battery during the 1942 attack upon Dieppe.
Dieppe Overlook Alternative
Alternative view of the Dieppe waterfront and its open park which includes a post-assault armored cupola.
The replacement Pegasus Bridge, which crosses the Orne Canal and was the first target to be captured by the Allies on D-Day, appears much like the original. A German gun pit is within the white fence in the right foreground.
Normandy American Cemetery 1
Graves area and seaside path in the Normandy American Cemetery. The path follows roughly along a German trench line looking down on Omaha Beach landing sites.
Normandy American Cemetery 2
The view of Omaha Beach to the east from the overlook at Normandy American Cemetery.
Normandy County Lane
This farm path through the bocage country of Normandy is located south of Pointe du Hoc. It displays the difficulty in fighting an established enemy in this terrain.
Normandy American Cemetery 3
A perfect alignment of graves in Normandy American Cemetery looking out to the English Channel in the distance.
Longues Battery Observation Post
The Longues Battery Observation Bunker sits upon the cliffs overlook the English Channel. It provided target co-ordinates for the four casemated guns further inland.
One of the Longues Battery casemates still retains its 155-mm Czech-made naval gun.
British landing zone at Gold Beach as viewed from the cliffs near Arromanches.
La Cambre German Cemetery
German Military Cemetery at La Cambre displays clusters of five stone crosses, characteristic of German war cemeteries. The mound in the center holds a mass grave of 296 of the over 21,000 buried in the cemetery. .
Bayeux Eisenhower Statue
The Memorial to General Eisenhower in a roundabout outside of Bayeux holds a statue of a determined (some say impatient) Eisenhower looking down the coast road to the east.
A German 50-mm antitank gun remains in a pillbox along the seawall in Aubin-sur-Mer.
Arromanches and the remains of the British Mulberry artificial harbor as viewed from the highlands east of the village. Note the high bluffs which form most of the waterfront on this part of Normandy and force Allied landings onto a few selected beaches.
Normandy American Cemetery
Aerial view of Normandy American Cemetery and Memorial with Omaha Beach to the left. Photo compliments of the American Battle Monuments Commission.
Stained glass window in the church in Ste-Mère-Église depicts the paratroopers landing in the early hours of D-Day.
Utah Beach Monument
The United States Government Monument to the landing troops of Utah Beach stands in front of the monument to the 1st Special Engineer Brigade.
Utah Beach Monument
The 1st Special Engineer Brigade Monument sits atop a German concrete bunker at Utah Beach.
The village church in Ste-Mère-Église sits in the village central square. Residents have attached a dummy hanging from a chute in memory of Private John Steele who hung there for three hours while the church bells tolled the invasion.
The side of the village church in Ste-Mère-Église looks just as it did in 1944 when American troops warily sought the location of a German sniper.
Utah Beach Tank
A Sherman tank sits at one of the exits from Utah Beach. There were no upland bluffs to contend with as there were at Omaha Beach; the targeted landing area was heavily fortified. Luckily, stronger than expected winds pushed the landing craft over 1 mile farther east to a less well-defended area.
Omaha Beach E-1 exit
This German gun emplacement effectively covered the ‘E-1 draw’ exit from Omaha Beach. It was hit by naval gunfire and captured to allow vehicles to leave the beach. The position is nearly intact and retains its original gun.
Pointe du Hoc Ranger Monument
The spear-shaped Ranger Monument sits atop the German command bunker near the tip of Pointe du Hoc. Unfortunately, sea erosion has since forced the closing of this small section of the Pointe du Hoc battlefield. Most of the site remains open.
The command bunker at the Douvres-la-Délivrande Radar Site now houses a museum displaying artifacts of the radar site and its capture by British forces.
Crisbecq Battery Casemate
A casemates at Crisbecq Battery houses one of the battery’s four 210-mm guns. The site near St-Marcouf was one of the most powerful in Normandy and threatened Utah Beach landings. It was not captured until 8 June 1944. The damage to the casemate was the result of American engineers testing explosives after the battle.
Crépon Green Howards Monument
A monument to the 6th and 7th Battalions of the Green Howards Regiment sits near Crépon, a village that they liberated on D-Day.
Juno Centre Monument
The Juno Centre in Courseulles is dedicated to Canadian landing on Juno Beach. The “Remembrance and Renewal’ monument outside the center presents unity and comradeship of Canadian soldiers who served during the war.
This statue of a piper commemorates the British 51st Highland Infantry Division which engaged in heavy fighting in the Bréville 11/12 June 1944.
Bernières Place du Canada
The pillbox (to the left) in the place du Canada in Bernières was the site of Widerstandnest #28, a strong German defensive position. It was captured on D-Day by Canadian forces.
Bayeux Memorial to the Missing
The British Memorial to the Missing from the Normandy Campaign has inscribed upon its walls the names of 2,808 missing soldiers.
Normandy American Cemetery Statue
The Spirit of American Youth Rising from the Waves sits in a semicircular colonnade at the Normandy American Cemetery. The statue is dedicated to the American soldiers who died Normandy landings.
Longues Battery Gun
A 155-mm gun remains in its casemate at the Longues Battery. The battery survived tons of bombs but was eventually silenced on D-Day by British Naval fire.
A pointed sundial memorial to No 41 Commando stands near a Churchill AVRE tank near Lion-sur-Mer.
La Marefontaine Casemates
Three of four German casemates sit in fields near La Marefontaine.
The Easy Red Sector of Omaha Beach below the Normandy American Cemetery; the American memorial on the left sits upon one of two German pillboxes which fired along the beach to the west (right).
Brécourt Manor Memorial
A new memorial to the men of the Company E, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division who captured the German gun at Brécourt Manor – an exploit made famous by the miniseries “The Band of Brothers.’
The arcaded shops in place de la République in Carentan look much the same as they did in 1944.
Carentan Gun Position
The position of a German gun defending Bridge #1 over the Jourdan River was captured during the assault on Carentan.
A monument commemorating the participation of Norwegian forces in the D-Day invasions stands outside the village of Villons-les-Buissons.
Utah Beach Monuments
The Musée de Débarquement stands on the location of Widerstandnest #5 at Utah Beach; the beach exit is marked by the Sherman tank on the left.
Utah Beach Bollard
Voie de la Liberté bollard ‘Km 00’ stands at an exit from Utah Beach marking the start of the liberation of France.
Theodore Roosevelt, Jr. Grave
The grave of Medal of Honor winner Brigadier General Theodore Roosevelt, Jr stands among the crosses at Normandy American Cemetery.
Pointe du Hoc Memorial
An oblique view of the Ranger Memorial (granite column along right side) at Pointe du Hoc shows the accompanying plaque and its inscription.
Pointe du Hoc Battlefield
The only remaining battlefield scars from the Second World War, the heights at Pointe du Hoc shows the intensity of bombing and shelling against the German gun emplacements.
Pointe du Hoc Battlefield
The Pointe du Hoc battlefield and the cliffs that extend along this sector of the Normandy coast.
The Pegasus Memorial houses artifacts from the battle and the original Pegasus Bridge.
Ouistreham Kieffer Memorial
The Flame of the Kieffer Memorial in Ouistreham commemorates the D-Day landing of French Commandoes commanded by Col. Kieffer.
The Colleville Plage at Omaha Beach still shows a remnant of the ‘shingle’ that caused American vehicles such difficulty on D-Day. Normandy American Cemetery is among the trees in the distance.
View to the west from the top of the German pillbox shows Omaha Beach and the western bluffs in the distance.
Threatening the eastern end of the invasion beach near Ouistreham, the German Merville Battery was a early target of British paratroops on D-Day. This casemate has been converted to a museum.
The ‘Iron Mike’ statue stands upon a low hill overlooking a crossing of the Merderet River where elements of the 82nd Airborne Division fought off repeated attacks by German forces that were moving against the D-Day Landing beaches.
Hill 112 Tank
A Churchill Tank sits as part of the Memorial atop Hill 112, the scene of heavy fighting during British attempts to capture Caen.
Cagny Guards Monument
The 2nd Irish Guards Monument near Cagny commemorates the destruction of a German King Tiger Tank by Lt. (later Sir) John Gorman during Operation ‘Goodwood”. The open terrain of the Goodwood attack is evident.
La Gleize Château Froidecour
The Château Froidecour near La Gleize where Peiper had his headquarters during the battle for the village.
The view of Clervaux from the road used by the Germans to attack the town. The church in on the left and the château is on the right.
La Roche-en-Ardennes 1
The intersection in La Roche-en-Ardennes where American and British troops met to seal the ‘Bulge’ created by the German Ardennes Offensive.
La Roche-en-Ardennes Plaque
The wall plaque La Roche-en-Ardennes commemorates the meeting of American and British forces that sealed the ‘Bulge’ during the German Ardennes Offensive.
La Roche-en-Ardennes Plaque
Detail of the wall plaque in La Roche-en-Ardennes that commemorates the meeting of American and British forces that sealed the ‘Bulge’ during the German Ardennes Offensive.
Bastogne Mardasson Memorial
The Mardasson Memorial, located on a hill overlooking Bastogne, commemorates all American forces which fought during the Battle of the Bulge and all of the American states.
Bastogne Place McAuliffe
The Place McAuliffe in the center of Bastogne stands in more peaceful times. It was the center of US operation during the defense of the city and it withstood numerous German bombardments.
Ettelbruck Square Patton
The Square Patton in Ettelbruck, Luxembourg commemorates the famous American general whose forces liberating the town.
West Wall Dragon’s Teeth
German ‘Dragon’s Teeth’ concrete tank barriers remain outside the village of Hollerath near the start line of the German Ardennes Offensive.
Hotly contested during the Battle of the Bulge, the bridge over the Amblève River in Stavelot was rebuilt after the war to much its original Roman appearance.
Voie Liberté Bollard
A roadside bollard marks every kilometer of the Voie de la Liberté or ‘Liberty Road’, the route taken by Patton’s Third Army across France to Bastogne, Belgium.
The furthest advance of Kampfgruppe Peiper near Stoumont Station (in the distance) is marker by a roadside marker on the right. Three German tanks were disabled by American defenders as they attempt to maneuver the curve in the roadway, ending Peiper’s attempts to exit the Amblève Valley.
Bastogne Mardasson Memorial
The Mardasson Memorial, which stands upon a hill outside Bastogne and marks the furthest German advance towards the city, commemorates all American forces which fought during the Battle of the Bulge.
The Malmédy Memorial commemorates the massacre of American POWs by the Germans during the Battle of the Bulge. The stone wall on the right holds individual plaques naming the American dead.
La Gleize Battlefield
Overview of a portion of the La Gleize battlefield taken from behind the village church. In 1944 the area was strewn with destroyed German armor which fell victim to intense American artillery bombardments.
La Gleize King Tiger Tank
A German King Tiger tank sits in the small center of La Gleize. These behemoths were the German Army’s most-feared armored fighting vehicle during the Battle of the Bulge.
The tactically important village of Foy sat upon the main road north of Bastogne. This view is from the Bois Jacques, the site of intense fighting between German attackers and the American 101st Airborne troops during the Battle of Bastogne.
Foxholes (photographed in 2006) in Bois Jacques probably used by American 101st Airborne troops during their defense of the Bastogne perimeter during the Battle of the Bulge in the winter of 1944/5.
A Unites States Sherman tank and numerous memorials stand in Place McAuliffe in the center of Bastogne, Belgium. The bust on the plinth to the left of the tank is General McAuliffe.
Bastogne Tank Turret
Turrets from US Sherman tanks mark the perimeter of the defensive line around Bastogne. This one is site at the furthest Germans advance at Marvie.
The Belgian Army bunker outside Bastogne where relief troops of General Patton’s Third Army met airborne defenders thereby breaking through the German encirclement of Bastogne, Belgium during the Battle of the Bulge.
Bulge Invasion Route
One of the forested roadways used by German armor at the start of the Battle of the Bulge. Although the road surface has been modernized, the dense forests and sharp road curves are typical of this region. This section is just above the Our River crossing at Dasburg.
Vielsalm Chasseur Monument
Monument to the Belgium Chasseur Ardennais stands in Vielsalm and includes their ‘Boar’ emblem.
Reims Salle de Reddition
The school room in Reims, France where representatives of the defeated German Third Reich signed the surrender agreement on 7 May 1945.
Lorraine American Cemetery
The Lorraine American Cemetery near St-Avold holds over 10,000 burials of US service personnel from the Second World War. It is the largest of that war’s American cemeteries in Europe.
Cambridge American Cemetery
The Cambridge American Cemetery outside the famous English University city holds remains of US Soldiers, Sailors, and Airmen many of whom were airmen killed in attacks upon targets in German occupied Europe.
Arnhem Hotel Hartenstein
The Hotel Hartenstein in Oosterbeek served as British headquarters during the Battle for Arnhem. It now houses the British 1st Airbourne Division Museum.
Nijmegen *2nd Airborne Monument
The metal parachute monument stand in the fields at Grave where the US 82nd Airborne Division landed near Nijmegen during Operation ‘Market Garden.’
Mook War Cemetery
The British War Cemetery at Mook stand outside the village and holds over 300 service personnel killed during Operation ‘Market Garden’ and later efforts to enter into Germany.
The famed Nijmegen Bridge over the Maas - Waal Canal was captured by elements of the 82nd Airborne Division after a perilous amphibious assault across the river.
The famous ‘Bridge Too Far’ in Arnhem, target of the British 1st Airbourne Division during Operation ‘Market Garden’ as seen from Airbourne Park.
Arnhem John Frost Bridge
Now named after Lt. Col John Frost who led the British airborne attack on Arnhem during Operation ‘Market Garden’, the rebuilt bridge crosses the Nieder-Rhine River at Arnhem.
The German machine-gun positions at Westerbouwing commanded the Nieder-Rhine below Arnhem. The bridge is not the John Frost bridge but a railway bridge.
Arnhem Attack Route
The roadway that British Airbourne troops used to leave their drop zones and attack Arnhem. Strong German positions closer to the city repulsed the attack and keep the British forces from combining.
The Maas Bridge at Grave was captured by the US 82nd Airborne Division with only light casualties.
Arnhem Drop Zone
British Airbourne Drop Zone Y at Ginkel Heath outside of Arnhem.
Arnhem Airbourne Memorial
The stone memorial in Arnhem to the British Airbourne troops that fell in attacking the Rhine River bridge during Operation ‘Market Garden’.
Witchford RAF Runway
A disused runway at RAF Witchford near Cambridge England still remains after the last RAF Bomber left in 1945.
Little Walden Control Tower
The Control Tower at RAF Little Walden was used by USAAF Ninth Air Force bombers and Eighth Air Force fighters in attacks upon German occupied France.
Framlingham Control Tower
RAF Framlingham was a heavy bomber base used by the USAAF Eighth Air Force. The control Tower now houses an 390th Bomb Group Museum and the Museum of the British Resistance Organization
Duxford Operation Room
The Operation Rooms at RAF Duxford has been reconstructed to demonstrate the control of plane operations.
Bury St-Edmund Pub Sign
American bomber crews were frequent visitors to English pub near the airbases. This one at Bury St-Edmund is named to honor those who flew the famed B-17 aircraft known as ‘The Flying Fortress.’
The German Reichstag in Berlin has become the seat of a unified Germany’s Parliament.
The courtyard inside Berlin Bendlerblock, once the German Reserve Army Headquarters and heart of the conspiracy to kill Adolf Hitler. The memorial along the wall on the left is to Col. Claus von Stauffenberg, who led an attempted assassination plot against Hitler on 20 July 1944. He was executed at that spot.
Falaise Moulin de Moissy
The ford over the Dives River at Moulin de Moissy; the German called this area the ‘Corridor of Death’ because of the enormous casualties incurred here during their escape from the Falaise Pocket.
The historic sign marking the Cherbourg city limits has been painted (unfortunately) since the famous 1944 photograph showing German prisoners marching into captivity.
The east tower of the train bridge across the Rhine River at Remagen. Its capture allowed Allied forces to cross the last natural barrier into Germany.
The tunnel entrance of the train line into the mountainside east of the Rhine River at Remagen.
The west towers of the train bridge across the Rhine River at Remagen now house the Friedensmuseum, or Peace Museum.
Reichswald Forest War Cemetery
Reichswald Forest War Cemetery sits in the quiet of the Reichswald where British and German fought for control of approaches to the Rhine in 1945. The largest Commonwealth Cemetery in Germany, it holds over 7,600 burials.
Casemates protecting the harbor of Boulogne sited above the roadside north of the city.
US 1st Infantry Division Monument
The US 1st Infantry Division Monument stands on the outskirts of Henri-Chapelle, Belgium and commemorates the unit's 1223 killed during the capture of Aachen and fighting in the Hurtgen Forest.
US 1st Infantry Division Monument
The Butgenbach 1st Infantry Division Monument commemorates the division's defense of the northern perimeter during the Battle of the Bulge.
US 1st Infantry Division Monument
The US 1st Infantry Division Monument stands amid the remnants of Widerstandsnest 62 overlooking Easy Red Sector of Omaha Beach. Plaques on the sides list the names of the 627 men who died during June and July 1944 fighting.
US 1st Infantry Division Plaque
The simple stone plaque on the Presbytery commemorates the liberation of Etreham, Normandy by the 1st Infantry Division on 7 June 1944.
Liege Resistance Memorial
Monument National à la Résistance stands in Parc d'Avroy in Liege. The bronze urn contain unidentified remains of Belgian Resistance fighters who were executed in a German concentration camp.
Liege Resistance Memorial Statue
A statue representing members of the Belgian Secret Army stands guard beside the Monument National à la Résistance in Liege.
Liege Interallie Memorial
The tower of the Mémorial Interallié (right) and the Basilica Sacré Coeur (left) in Liege stand upon a precipice overlooking the city's southern districts.
Liege Interallie Memorial Portico
Portico of the Mémorial Interallié in Liege commemorates the Allied nations who foughtin the Second World War.
Liege Interallie Greek Memorial
Greek Memorial at the Mémorial Interallié in Liege commemorating the Allied nations of the Second World War.
Fort Eben-Emael 120-mm Turret
120-mm turret on the central mastif of Fort Eben-Emael north of Liege. The fort was designed to protect the Albert Canal.
Fort Eben-Emael Bloc VI
Shell damaged Bloc VI of Fort Eben-Emael, which guarded the approaches to the fort entrance.
Fort Eben-Emael Bloc 0
The armored cupola of Block O (also known as Eben 1) stands upon the cliffs overlooking the Albert Canal at Fort Eben-Emael.
Fort Eben-Emael Bloc 0
The casemates, observation and gun embrasures of Bloc 0 of Fort Eben-Emael as viewed from the Albert Canal.
Fort Tancrement (Liege): retractable turret on the fort roof held twin 75-mm cannon. The armored cupolas slightly down from the turret (center and left) held Maxin machine guns to repel attacking infantry.
Fort Tancrement (Liege): entry Block with armored cupola on roof, which held a Maxim machine gun.
Fort Battice Ditch
Fort Battice (Liège): View to south down ditch west of the central mastif. Photo taken from area of communications tower parking area. On right is a Belgian gate; structure on near left is garrison; in distance the dark shape is Block VII.
Fort Battice Bloc II
Fort Battice (Liège): Block II showing gun embrasures, one still holding its defensive 47-mm cannon.
Fort Battice Bloc I
Fort Battice Block I showing fighting damage, gun embrasures, and memorials to dead defenders. Fort Battice was the Liège Fortified Zone fort closest to the German border.
Fort Battice Bloc I
Fort Battice Block I: extensive bomb damage to doorway entrance to the defensive block. Fort Battice was the Liège Fortified Zone fort closest to the German border.
Fort Aubin-Neufchateau View
View of the Belgian countryside from Fort Aubin-Neufchateau near Liège show the extent of its observation and gunnery targets.
Fort Aubin-Neufchateau Gate
Bullet chattered gate to entrance of Fort Aubin-Neufchateau near Liège shows the intensity of the May 1940 German infantry assault.
Fort Aubin-Neufchateau Blockhouse
Damaged blockhouse inside Fort Aubin-Neufchateau displays the bomb damage from the May 1940 German attack on Liège.
Fort Aubin-Neufchateau Entrance
Approach road to the entrance gate of Fort Aubin-Neufchateau, one of the ring of fortifications guarding Liège.
Ardennes American Cemetery Chapel
Chapel at Ardennes American Cemetery in Neupre, Belgium
Ardennes American Cemetery Graves
Grave plot in Ardennes American Cemetery in Neupre, Belgium